With steady yearly growth, a high volume of monthly digital content and increasing web traffic, our client needed a robust, but flexible infrastructure to help them keep up with the constantly evolving market expectations and assist in launching products on time. Their main technical challenges were related to achieving an optimal time-to-market:
- Lack of documentation. The client needed an upgraded infrastructure documentation to facilitate knowledge transfer, as well as improve technical consistency, transparency and decision making.
- Overengineered architecture. The system required simplifications in order to accelerate implementation, maintenance and reaction to system failures.
- No workflow automation. Scaling up from manual validation and deployment to an automated process was necessary to comply with the business objective by ensuring faster and more reliable release cycles.
- Overscaled servers. While the client’s servers were equipped to handle extremely high traffic peaks, these peaks were rare. Most of the time, our client used only 10-20% of their resources, which drove up costs.
- Stiff adaptability. The client needed a more flexible system that would allow faster scale up/down of the existing infrastructure, which in turn reduced the spinning up cycle time of a new service or unexpected event.